Saturday, January 07, 2006

'Jane Fonda: My Life So Far' (Jane Fonda)

How silly of me! To read Jane Fonda’s My Life So Far so close on the jolly, teetering heels of Goldie Hawn’s A Lotus Grows in the Mud!

Both are autobiographical tomes by grande dames of similar Hollywood provenance. Both feature thoughtfully posed cover photographs and almost-smiles. Both tell fascinating stories. Both are deliciously frank.

But Goldie’s is motivational. Spiritual. Sage. Jane’s is a little mean. A little nasty. A little self-congratulating. And while I pored over Lotus during a weekend away, ignoring friends, food and conversation, I couldn’t finish My Life. It felt too long.

So as not to undermine it entirely, I will tell you that My Life appears to have two selling points.

One, it exposes the interesting roots of Hanoi Jane’s controversial political beliefs; her stand against the Vietnam War and the "two minute lapse of sanity" when she was photographed sitting at a North Vietnam anti-aircraft gun site.

Two, it is a poignant comment on marriage, specifically on the fact that all three of Fonda's marriages made her suffer. A remarkable admission from a strong woman whose public life never portrayed her as a victim of patriarchy.

My Life’s myriad black and white photographs are also quite divine.

No comments: